One thing that I’ve found useful during my research and years of contemplation into joining the Peace Corps were the blogs with timelines and information about the application process. So here is my own:
- September 27, 2011 – Online application submitted, including Volunteer application, Health Status Review and names of three references.
- October 3, 2011 - Received letter via USPS with Application Status login information.
- October 13, 2011 - Received call from a recruiter in the Dallas office to talk more about my skill set and suggestions to help me become a more competitive applicant. Follow up e-mail received October 19.
- October 27, 2011 – Received email from recruiter that she will be moving my application forward and I should hear from local recruiter soon.
- November 4, 2011 - Received background check, fingerprint card and additional legal forms via USPS. Follow up phone call November 7.
- November 16, 2011 - Mailed legal packet back to Dallas regional office.
- November 29, 2011 - Received phone call to set up interview for December 21, 2011.
- December 21, 2011 - Peace Corps interview. Received email the following day with new addendum.
- February 24, 2012 - Sent updated resume and skill addendum to recruiter.
- March 16, 2012 – Received phone call and email from recruiter requesting additional language information and to make sure I was comfortable with program/location/departure date he wanted to nominate me for.
- March 19, 2012 - Email language requirement information back to recruiter.
- March 27, 2012 – My recruiter let me know that I wouldn’t be nominated for anything at this time as the program was cancelled.
- April 20, 2012 - Email recruiter with updates.
- April 30, 2012 - Received call from original recruiter letting me know I was officially nominated!
- May 5, 2012 - Received official nomination letter and OMS medical clearance packet.
- May 17, 2012 – Receive email letting me know of July 9 cutoff for medical packet arrival in Washington or I will have to redo all my medical.
- June 2012 – Spent the entire month of June at various doctor/dentist offices, calling various doctor’s offices, calling PC pre-service nurses freaking out about potentially missing deadline, emailing the business desk, etc.
- July 5, 2012 – Overnighted medical packet back to Washington!
- July 10, 2012 – Toolkit updated to acknowledge medical packet received by July 9 (whew!).
- July 17, 2012 – Receive an email that states my Toolkit has been updated… login to find a nice little check next to this: “Place Complete. Peace Corps has completed your placement review. There are no holds on your account at this time.”
Update: I also receive an email from a Peace Corps nurse asking a couple follow up questions to my medical packet. After sending all the required info (except one lab test I hadn’t realized I was missing), the nurse tells me she is going to give me medical clearance but I can’t depart without the results of the missing test.
- July 18, 2012 – Receive another Toolkit update email: “Dental Complete. Peace Corps has completed your dental review. There are no dental holds on your account at this time.” and “Medical Complete. A decision has been reached regarding your medical review. Please look for a letter in the mail.”
Update: Receive email from Peace Corps Placement Officer letting me know I was not invited to program I was nominated for, however my invitation is in the mail for a Health-based Community Economic Development assignment in Anglophone Sub Saharan Africa!!
- July 20, 2012 – Email results from outstanding lab work back to OMS nurse.
- July 25, 2012 - Receive invitation packet!! I’m going to Ethiopia in October 2012, as a Community Health Economic Development volunteer!
- July 27, 2012 – Send off passport/visa packet.
- August 1, 2012 – Email aspiration statement and resume to my country desk.
- August 17, 2012 – departure – Received emails from country desk/OMS such as Safety & Security online training, Yellow Fever Vaccination info, new Online Portal info, etc.
Do you have any questions about something I haven’t answered here or are interested in more specifics on anything? Feel free to contact me… I’d be happy to help out in any way I can!